Subject: Re: Booting G4 (again!)
To: Mike Bush , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Fairbrother <peter.fairbrother@ntlworld.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/06/2001 19:46:07
Thanks Mike, that worked. It was straightforward and simple. And it greatly
improved my understanding.

It's not very clear in any documentation that I could find (hint hint).

It's also not very convenient. Is there a workaround so I can boot NetBSD
without having the CD in the box? Maybe by creating an HFS partition with
ofwboot on it, and booting from there? Anyone know how to do it?

From that position I can probably work out how to set up OF to boot into
NetBSD from startup.

Also, would it be possible to patch OF so a 'sticky? key' (like holding C to
boot from CD) would allow booting into Mac OS or NetBSD? My Forth is too
rusty and my understanding of OF too limited to try this myself. And Apple
keep changing OF...

Booting the kernel directly on an HFS partition doesn't seem to work, but
I'll try that again. and again.

Thanks again

Peter Fairbrother