Subject: Re: Power Macintosh 6500/300 with 3rd party video
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2001 12:02:08
On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 09:14:41PM -0500, Chris Tribo wrote:
> on 3/2/01 8:32 PM, Josh Kuperman at josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us wrote something
> like:
>
> > I burned a copy of the macppc iso image. I have previously tried to
> > deal with various Linuxes on this Mac and plan to use the space that
> > the was previously used by Linux.
>
>     Hmm that's probably not a 1.5iso, but I dunno which or where you got it
> from, not that that really matters at this point.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/iso/macppc.iso -- I believe that
is formally where they keep copies of the latest images. It should be
bootable under 1.5 and the CD displays on my Mac desktop as
NetBSD/macppc 1.5.

Judging from what you say below my problem is simply I can't get into
OFW. The settings I put in seem to just vanish and the Mac boots into
OS9.

> > I couldn't get to the Open Firmware. I just wind up restarting my
> > mac. I have a third party video card and I'm wondering if that is what
> > is stopping me. I could plug the monitor into the other Mac
> > video. Right now I'm using an ATI card in one PCI slot and ethernet in
> > the other. I downloaded System Disk 2.3.1 Of105 patch and ran it. It
> > seems to have worked, but nothing really happens.

>  Did you check the model support web page and see if you have to
> change input-device and output-device on your particular model?

Yes, I did! As far as I can tell my machines a PowerMacintosh 6500
with a PPC 603ev running at 300MHz is a Gazelle. It may support Open
Firmware 1.05 and/or 2.0.x -- I don't really know how to read the
chart or the implications of one versus the other. Do I have a way to
find out which I have? My output-device is /bandit/ATY,264GT-B. But
when I try I get a blank screen. I plugged the monitor into the
original monitor port so I wouldn't have to worry about the 3rd party
video card. I suspect some sort of magical timing issue.

> What type of ATI
> card is it? You probably *do* need to change the output-device setting to
> your ATI card manually with that version of OFW. There's an application,
> who's name I'm at a loss for, that you can use to snoop the OFW device tree
> and see what name you need to put in for output-device. I think it's pcidevs
> or something. The string you're looking for is something along the lines of
> /pci/ATY,XCLAIMVR_Pro@D or simply shortened to /pci/@D where the D would be
> the slot letter of the PCI slot it's installed in.

From this I'm going to assume that I will be able to use the video, but I can worry about that later.

josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us