Subject: Re: OF 2.0
To: Mike , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/02/2001 17:11:15
on 3/2/01 3:05 AM, Mike at paragon@drexel.edu wrote something like:

> I am getting a default catch error when trying to boot ide:0  I've tried
> changing load base and real base like it says to no avail, any suggestions?

    That's not quite the right syntax as I remember it. On my Beige G3 (OFW
2.0f1) it's boot ide0/@0:0 I'm assuming you ran SystemDisk to patch OFW's
IDE initialization, set the boot-device and you did a reset-all after having
changed the load-base and real-base. You're using a load-base of 6c0000
right? It will work once you get the variables and initializations right,
only from IDE master, with the SystemDisk patches, and a lot of dumb luck.
If it still doesn't work post up your machine config and how your IDE chains
are set up, as well as the version of SystemDisk you are using.

<rant>
    Personally, I've gotten fed up with the P.O.S. Heathrow ATA controller
(that was 3 years out of date when the machine was designed). Not to mention
the fact that Apple bundled Ultra ATA/33 drives with a controller that can
only do DMA mode 2; and how Apple has bundled fast SCSI-2 drives in their
systems for years, but even my G3 *still* has slow narrow SCSI-2, nearly the
same chip that my 9 year old Quadra has, just attached to PCI instead of
NuBus.
</rant>

--

Atlantis: {13} fortune