Subject: Re: JDK status (was: Re: Netscape on macppc: it works!)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2001 14:07:35
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
>
> : > What missing JDK? Is it just we don't have a package of the linux JDK, or
> : > does the linuxppc JDK not work?
> :
> : As it is explained at http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/emul_linux, we have a

Ahh... I hadn't examined that yet.

> : minimal support for the JDK-1.1.8. It seems 2.2.2 and 1.3.0 will not
> : work because they use kernel threads, which are note yet available on
> : NetBSD (Hence we cannot emulate that Linux feature)
>
> LinuxThreads uses clone() to do threading. We have a clone() emulation
> syscall, but it's completely borked at the moment, and I don't know if it
> will ever get fixed.  (Processes start out OK, then a signal arrives and
> they just hang.)

There's no way to get them to run Green threads? The Sun 1.3.0 JDK/JRE
runs fine on i386, so unless the JDK folks dropped green threads, it
should be feasable....

> : If it's not too ugly, we can try adding some MacOS compatibility code to
> : our kernel. Anyone know how it works exactly?
>
> As for MacOS X, basic Darwin-based programs should need little more than a
> COMPAT_DARWIN layer; after all, it's another BSD.

Yep. And it should be all the easier with the recent emuilation breakup.

> Carbon and etc. programs, and pre-MacOSX programs, will probably need a
> little more help; in all cases, some MacOS files would be needed for
> graphical apps.

Guess what MOL is. :-)

Take care,

Bill