Subject: JDK status (was: Re: Netscape on macppc: it works!)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/27/2001 08:25:53
> What missing JDK? Is it just we don't have a package of the linux JDK, or
> does the linuxppc JDK not work?

As it is explained at http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/emul_linux, we have a
minimal support for the JDK-1.1.8. It seems 2.2.2 and 1.3.0 will not
work because they use kernel threads, which are note yet available on
NetBSD (Hence we cannot emulate that Linux feature)

JDK-1.1.8 is able to run a hello world program. Running bigger programs
fails (core dump), and we really need to test some sample programs that
will test simple features of the JDK. I need some help here, since I'm
not a java expert.

> Running MOL in linux emulation won't work. MOL changes the linux kernel,
> while our linux emulation makes our kernel look like the linux kernel.
> adds a MacOS emulation to Linux. :-)

If it's not too ugly, we can try adding some MacOS compatibility code to
our kernel. Anyone know how it works exactly?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
"Le 80x86 n'est pas si complexe - il n'a simplement pas de sens"