Subject: Re: Booting G4 (howto)
To: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2001 17:52:56
At 11:31 AM +1100 2/26/01, Andrew White wrote:
>Mike Bush wrote:
>0 > boot hd:10,ofwboot.elf cd,netbsd.macppc
>
>Boots ofwboot.elf, then when it tries to load the true kernel:
>"No such file or directory."
>I get the same error for a variety of filename variations, or for using the
>.xcf.

I forget the details, but ofwboot is not smart about parsing OF
device paths.  I would bet that it would work if you make that
cd:,/netbsd.macppc.

>0 > boot hd:10,ofwboot.elf hd:10,netbsd.ram
>
>"No such file or directory."
>Huh?  It certainly exists.
>

>AHA!  Finally got something to work.
>
>0 > boot hd:10, ofwboot.xcf hd:10,boot.fs

AHA! This fits.  You added a partition number (a ":") and now it can
tell the difference between the file path and the device path.

>This drops me into the bootloader, and from there I go to sysinstall.
>However, as per the October 29, 2000 Install 8 BSD document, I have
>pre-partitioned the disk using Drive Setup.  I can't find the option in
>sysinstall that lets me install WITHOUT repartitioning the hard drive.  How
>do I do this?

Directly, you can't.  Exit from the installer and do it by hand:

mount /dev/wd0a /mnt  (or /dev/sd0a, or whatever)
tar zxvpf ...
vi /mnt/etc/fstab
cd /mnt/dev
./MAKEDEV all
...timezone...
...rc.conf...

Have fun.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.