Subject: Re: Could you help me?
To: Josh Escobedo <jescob2@uic.edu>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2001 09:39:01
On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 08:50:39AM -0600, Josh Escobedo wrote:
> On 2/26/01 8:10 AM, "???" <jambo@hackerslab.com> wrote:
>
> > on Apple Network Server 700/150 model, I turned it on to boot.
> > It was my great mistake.
> > I have tried to boot on console. Actually, I don't know how to do exactlly.
> > can I set Open Firmware Settings to their default values?
> > please, let me know.

Josh's explanation for reseting OF values should be correct;
However, my experience with my Power Mac 8500/120 has lead me to think that
using ttya (or b) at all is inconvenient without a real serial console lying
around.
Hence I prefer using the input device kbd and the output device /chaos/control
(the output device varies on each model of machine).
For example, with my voodoo3 card I use /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3 as an output
device.
Either way, at least having keyboard input has lead me to be able to set the
output device by typing blindly.

> > ps. probably, can I use system disk tool? unfortuately, I don't know how to
> > use
> > SystemDisk2.3.1.smi.bin.

Clearly its a macos tool,  if you get it to run and select the right-hand
button, marked advanced, you can check the bottom right check-box, and type in
a new input and output device to be used.  Then click save and reboot while
holding command-option-O-F.

-Daniel