Subject: Re: Booting G4 (howto)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2001 11:31:46
Mike Bush wrote:

> I just finished setting up both my G4s for _self_ booting (no more boot
> commands for me ;).  I didn't think it was clear in the FAQ although all
> the information is there. Maybe some of this could be added to the FAQ?

Mike (or other knowledgeable person),

Would you be able to do a quick How-To on getting the G4 to boot with OF
booting?

I have the "Official" NetBSD 1.5 distribution on CD, but haven't managed to
get a boot install.

I'm using HFS+ partition 10 as my initialisation partition, and want to
install on partition 11.

Here's what I've tried.

0 > boot hd:10,netbsd.ram
Starts working, then

"load-size=38ac94 adler32=717f457e"
"CLAIM failed"

0 > boot hd:10,ofwboot.elf cd,netbsd.macppc

Boots ofwboot.elf, then when it tries to load the true kernel:
"No such file or directory."
I get the same error for a variety of filename variations, or for using the
.xcf.

0 > boot hd:10,ofwboot.elf hd:10,netbsd.ram

"No such file or directory."
Huh?  It certainly exists.

AHA!  Finally got something to work.

0 > boot hd:10, ofwboot.xcf hd:10,boot.fs

This drops me into the bootloader, and from there I go to sysinstall.
However, as per the October 29, 2000 Install 8 BSD document, I have
pre-partitioned the disk using Drive Setup.  I can't find the option in
sysinstall that lets me install WITHOUT repartitioning the hard drive.  How
do I do this?

BTW

Does anyone know how to cancel the "Boot: " prompt without rebooting the
machine?

And is there an easy way to get full doco on the OF command set?

Thanks

--
Andrew White