Subject: Re: How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?
To: Todd Vierling , Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Dave Low <supermac@hawaii.rr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/25/2001 16:35:35
on 2/19/01 10:26 AM, Todd Vierling at tv@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>
> : :)For OFW3, you're supposed to use ofwboot.elf, not ofwboot.xcf...I don't
> know
> : :)if the xcoff version will work or not, but the elf version definitely will
> : :)boot.
> :
> : Actually, the xcoff version works on all machines -- the preference for the
> : elf bootloader is that it's easier to compile, and thus there are more
> : versions of it floating around.
>
> Yes.  In fact, the CDs pressed by Wasabi and The NetBSD Mission have only
> the XCOFF version, for uniformity.

When I get to the  Firmware boot prompt:

>boot cd:ofwboot.elf (of course ofwboot.elf is not in the root of the CD)
   gets me the quickly passing "booting elf" followed immediately by
  "do-quiessing" or something like that. An immediate reboot to macos
  follows that.

so then I copy ofwboot.elf and a few of the other files in the macppc folder
into the System Folder of  the  MacOS. I then reboot into open firmware
>boot ofwboot.elf and I get the same thing.

Dave Low
supermac@hawaii.rr.com