Subject: Re: Sound on a beige G3 under 1.5
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/25/2001 00:01:32
on 2/23/01 5:58 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@zembu.com wrote something
like:

>> Shouldn't there be a dmamap/mmap independent latched to awacs*; or awacs
>> Screamer really doesn't do DMA?
>
> ?? Looking at the code, the awacs driver is definitly using DMA. There
> just isn't any printed output for it.

    OK, thought I was going crazy for a minute :)

>> There are two things that strike me as odd, first is the fact that the
>> audio is on the "personality" card rather than the Mobo, so it's possible
>
> This part I didn't follow.

    Like if you pop open a Beige G3 DT or MT, the sound chip (a Crystal
CS2411[?] I think) is on a daughtercard Apple calls the personality module.
Depending on the G3 config, you could have the sound card with just the
Crystal audio chip, "Comm slot" and the sound I/O ports, or it could be a
Video digitizer/TV tuner module (which I have not seen), or possibly others.
I'm wondering if there needs to be a bit set somewhere depending on what
card is installed in the machine.

<snip>

    Well, food for thought.

    Chris

--

    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."