Subject: Booting G4 (howto)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Bush <mike@ieaccess.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2001 13:36:43
I just finished setting up both my G4s for _self_ booting (no more boot
commands for me ;).  I didn't think it was clear in the FAQ although all the
information is there. Maybe some of this could be added to the FAQ?

OF Note: Control + s will stop a screen scroll and Control + q will start it
again. I had problems with scrolling and 'dev / ls' awhile back.

Making a device alias:
1) Enter OF
2) type: nvedit<enter>  (no prompt after this)
3) type: devalias devicename /device/path/<ctrl+c> (you get your prompt back
after this)
    NOTE: I used: 'devalias kermit /pci@f2000000/@d/ADPT,2930CU@3/disk@0:0'
for a device called kermit
3) type: nvrun<enter> (runs the nvrunrc 'buffer' you just made)
4) type: devalias (you should see your new device name)
5) type: nvramrc (this saves the buffer to a file, 'nvramrc'?)
6) type: setenv use-nvramrc? true (this option is supposed to run 'nvramrc'
every time you boot)
    NOTE: The first time this command didn't work and I didnt see my
alias... so I ran it again and after another reboot it worked. Odd huh?)
7) type: reset-all (system reboots)
8) Enter OF and: devalias (your alias should be there)

Self booting with the help of a boot cd:
1) type: setenv boot-device cd:,ofwboot.elf
2) type: setenv boot-file kermit (see above)
3) type: reset-all (and watch your system boot itself)

I don't know how well, if at all, this works with OF < 3

NetBSD Fan,
Mike Bush