Subject: Re: Sound on a beige G3 under 1.5
To: Bill Studenmund , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/2001 14:13:29
on 2/21/01 8:35 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@zembu.com wrote something
like:

> I've not got it working, and I am wondering if anyone else has it working.

    Hmm, get a chance to browse the MkLinux/LinuxPPC sources for awacs
screamer fun?

> has awacs*  at obio? and audio* at awacs?. On boot I see:
> awacs0 at obio0 offset 0x14000: irq 17,8,9
> audio0 at awacs0: full duplex

    Shouldn't there be a dmamap/mmap independent latched to awacs*; or awacs
Screamer really doesn't do DMA?

> I've tried both the awacs driver (*) on the 1.5 branch and pulling the
> latest version of the driver into my source. Neither version makes sound.

    There are two things that strike me as odd, first is the fact that the
audio is on the "personality" card rather than the Mobo, so it's possible
some bits aren't getting set there. Also, it should be noted that whenever I
start up my G3 and hold down the spacebar to go to Extensions Manager in
MacOS, then continue booting, no sound works at all, regardless of volume
settings, I/O settings or anything I try. The only thing that makes it work
is rebooting normally. It could be an evil extension, but I have a feeling
the chip isn't getting reset or initialized properly by OFW or NetBSD (or
the ROM), and requires a software kick by the OS to get the bits reset and
set right. I *think* that when awacs gets inited properly, you'll hear the
built-in speaker go clickety-click, even when an external device is plugged
in.

encodings=slinear:16,slinear_be:16,slinear_le:16,mulaw:8*,alaw:8*   <- Don't
we need PCM and ADPCM to play WAV files in hardware? Have you got any alaw
or ulaw sound to try, or try recording?

mode=  <- dunno if there should be something here or not, don't have sources
play.encoding=slinear_le <- le on a be machine, seems strange.
<snip>
play.port=0x1 <- do these bits make sense? >-\
play.avail_ports=0x3                       <-/

    The three ports that come to mind are 1.) Internal speaker 2.) External
speaker/headphone 3.) Internal DAV bus for the TV card in some G3's that
goes in the "personality" slot.

    This is all shot in the dark stuff, as I have no idea what I'm talking
about.

    Chris
--

Murphy was an optimist.