Subject: Re: Blue & White G3 Install
To: Vickie Jean- Charles <muscadin@earthlink.net>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/2001 11:25:56
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Vickie Jean- Charles wrote:

> I decided to try and boot off an HFS partition.  I copied everything from the "/macppc/installation" folder to my hd w/ Mac OS 9.0.4.  Then, I restarted the computer into Open Firmware and typed the following commands:

	What's everything specifically?

This is the first-stage booter, but you left out the path to it. I'm not
too straight on my OFW 3.x booting syntax, but it's something like

boot ata2/@0:0,ofwboot.xcf\\ or some such. That info should be in the FAQ
or somewhere on the NetBSD/macppc web page.

Boot.fs is for floppy disks only
> load boot.fs
> boot boot.fs

Perhaps you mean ofwboot.elf? but ofwboot.xcf and ofwboot.elf are the same
program in different formats. It's the first stage boot loader.

> I still keep getting the same "couldn't find........." or "couldn't load........" message. Can someone provide some insight on what I may be doing wrong?

	Yes, because you're not telling it where to look for the file
you're tring to boot. You have to specify the path to the device and the
path to the kernel it should load. I don't have the specifics handy,
someone else can correct me or you can check out the web page.

	Chris