Subject: Re: Reading Mac Disklabel?
To: Adam Lebsack <lebsack@mac.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/22/2001 16:00:41
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Adam Lebsack wrote:

> I have a linuxppc box which I would like to convert to NetBSD.  I
> have already used a spare drive to install NetBSD, using the
> partitioning in the installer.  I am not familiar with how the
> installer partitions my drive.  Back in linux, I tried a pdisk on the
> drive to see what it did, and it can't read anything!

I guess we need to make the warning text larger. Using the installer at
present DESTROYS all Apple Partition Map partitions. Specifically when
installboot runs the Apple Partition Map gets blasted.

Oh, you installed NetBSD on the space disk. That's fine.

> Anyhow, my main problem is that I have a 30 gig ext2 filesystem I
> would like to mount from my linux drive.  The drive has a MacOS
> disklabel, and NetBSD can't seem to read it.

What does NetBSD see? Also, what does pdisk say?

> So I have two questions:  Can I run NetBSD with a regular MacOS
> disklabel (with all netbsd partitions in a regular MacOS disklabel
> format)?  Also, I need to access the other linux ext2 partition
> (hda4).  How do I do this?

Yes, you can. Though using an Apple Partition Map is different from using
disklabel.

For the ext2 partition, we'd need to know what pdisk says about it.

Take care,

Bill