Subject: Re: And I thought installing Linux was complicated......
To: Vickie Jean- Charles <muscadin@earthlink.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2001 16:42:47
At 9:21 AM -0500 2/21/01, Vickie Jean- Charles wrote:
>Greetings everybody,
>
>I am trying to install NetBSD 1.5 on a Blue & White G3 350 MHz w/
>448 MB of RAM.  And I cannot get past the Open Firmware.  I
>downloaded the system disk.  I set the boot device to floppy (fd:0),
>named the boot file (the o*.xcf file, I forget the name).  Then I
>save the changes and reboot the system.  It takes me into Open
>firmware and whenever I tell it to boot off the floppy, cd-rom,
>etc., it gives me an error message stating something along the lines
>"load too small......"
>
>Can someone tell me where to get more detailed installation
>instructions or help me with this problem?  I am really excited to
>get NetBSD started but this is about to give me gray hair.  And I AM
>only 21.........

I didn't think that B&W G3's had floppies.  In any case I recall that
floppy support in OF is broken on the newer machines that still had
them.  Do you have OF 2.4 or OF 3.x?  You should try downloading the
ISO image, burning a CD-ROM and booting from that.

More generically I thought the install instructions (the latter half
of the install document after they get through telling you all the
wonderful improvements in 1.5 from previous releases) were fairly
detailed.  I suggest you do a printenv inside OF and verify all your
settings.  Also I suggest that whenever anything you try in OF that
fails you should immediately do a reset-all to make sure it didn't
hose something.

Good luck.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.