Subject: Re: Linux compatibility status
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2001 13:01:32
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:00:21PM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> I've made a web page to report Linux compatibily status on
> NetBSD/PowerPC. I hope it will motivate people to help ;o)
>
> http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/emul_linux

One minor correction for the web page; under "Getting started",
"Upgrading the kernel", it states that one needs to add the
"LINUX_COMPAT" option to the kernel config file; the name of the
option should be "COMPAT_LINUX" (as you correctly state in the
"Overview" section).

That said, I've now given the Linux compatibility a try, and so far,
it has worked great!  My setup is: NetBSD 1.5 release userland w/
XFree86 4.0.1 and NetBSD-current (as of 02/19/2000) kernel sources; I
have a complete install (bootable & runnable) of LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on
another partition on my HD which I mount under NetBSD as /emul/linux.

I've only done some quick testing, but the few things I've tried so
far (ls, pwd, etc) have worked.  More complicated things also seem to
work, although I haven't thoroughly tested them.  These include: vi,
emacs (both in an xterm and as its own X window), xpdf, gv/gs, and
Netscape (4.73). :)  I'll try to do some more complete testing.  Is
there anything we should concentrate on?

John