Subject: Re: Cross OS really long file-name FS
To: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/20/2001 20:17:05
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 02:35:14PM -0600, John Valdes wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 02:00:43PM -0800, Daniel Lamblin wrote:
> > I have a 40Gb drive I wish to commonly share accross all my occasionally booted
> > OSes, namely Mac OS 9, BeOS, GNU/Linux (ppc) debian, NetBSD!(yay)
> [...]
> > I want to have long filename (really long, not just 32 chars) supported on
> > most if not all the OSes when reading and writing to that disk.
>
> As much as it pains me to say it, I would guess that a VFAT32
> filesystem is probably your only choice.  NetBSD & Linux can read this
> FS.  MacOS can too, although I've only tried it on removable media
> (floppy, zip, etc); don't know if MacOS can access VFAT32 on a
> partition.  I'm guessing BeOS can handle VFAT32, though perhaps not on
> ppc.

Thinking about this more, I think there'll be one problem; while all
the OSes may support VFAT32, I don't think the Apple partition map
supports this filesystem type (or more properly, OSes which know how
to read Apple partition maps probably don't expect to find VFAT32
filesystems on a disk that has an Apple partition map).

There's also the related problem of creating a VFAT32 partition on a
disk w/ an Apple partition map; newfs_msdos can create the actual
filesystem, but AFAIK, there's no utility to mark an Apple partition
as being of type VFAT32.

John