Subject: Re: G4 Installation
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/20/2001 16:17:37
At 8:47 PM +0000 2/17/01, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
>as described in the FAQ (setting the console to serial) except for
>the small annoyance that this machine does not have any serial port.

Well, actually the modem is a serial port and you can access it if
you put in a little jumper card in the modem slot that brings the
lines out to the back of the case.

>  Try #2: Boot ofwboot.xcf and use that for booting the kernel on
>the same (mac HFS+) partition. This doesn't work either, since
>ofwboot doesn't seem to be able to load stuff off an HFS+ partition.
>This is not really made clear in the install notes.

You can put ofwboot.xcf on a HFS(+) partition, but it needs to read
from a NetBSD-recognized partition type.

>  Try #3: Download the macppc.iso and boot that. Still no luck,
>since the kernel image is buried deep in directories that will
>be mangled (long names). I tried a couple of variations and gave
>up.

I thought there was an installation kernel at the top level.  In any
case you can do a "dir cd:/<path-to-try>" to look around until you
find what you want.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.