Subject: Re: Cross OS really long file-name FS
To: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/20/2001 14:35:14
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 02:00:43PM -0800, Daniel Lamblin wrote:
> I have a 40Gb drive I wish to commonly share accross all my occasionally booted
> OSes, namely Mac OS 9, BeOS, GNU/Linux (ppc) debian, NetBSD!(yay)
[...]
> I want to have long filename (really long, not just 32 chars) supported on
> most if not all the OSes when reading and writing to that disk.

As much as it pains me to say it, I would guess that a VFAT32
filesystem is probably your only choice.  NetBSD & Linux can read this
FS.  MacOS can too, although I've only tried it on removable media
(floppy, zip, etc); don't know if MacOS can access VFAT32 on a
partition.  I'm guessing BeOS can handle VFAT32, though perhaps not on
ppc.

HFS+ may work.  You can try hfsplusutils on Linux & NetBSD
(http://www.penguinppc.org/usr/ftp/pub/hfsplus/); don't know if BeOS
supports it (kinda doubt it, but...).

Another option perhaps is UFS; Linux and NetBSD support it, MacOS X
does (I know, you said MacOS 9; maybe you could use the "cpin" "cpout"
function of the NetBSD/mac68k installer to read/write to UFS under
MacOS ppc?); again, don't know about BeOS, however.

If you find something that works, let us know. :)

John