Subject: Re: newer G4
To: Bruno Clermont <pooh@gnome.ca>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2001 15:32:53
On 17 Feb 2001, Bruno Clermont wrote:

> it work fine, i didn't have to use the -current.
> ethernet, video card, USB everthing is working fine, except the sound
> card, but i don't want to use it anyway.

	the only working sound for macppc is a SoundBlaster Live add-in.

> the only three things why i write are :
>
> -the hotplug of USB stuff work great, except when i tried to disconnect
> the last keyboard connect to it, the kernel panic and reboot.  is it a
> know issue?  fixed in -current? do you need my collaboration to fix
> this?

	Someone was looking into this early last week. Something about not
handeling disconnects/reconnects from the root USB hub wasn't working
properly. However, disconnects and reconnects from a hub (i.e. the
keyboard) worked fine. I would suggest that you forward your message to
current-users@netbsd.org and/or subscribe/search that mailing list as
well.

> -wscons don't seem to be fully supported in the macppc port, i am right?

	No, there is no virtual screen support, color console, or even
hardware accelerated scrolling AFAIK. It's just a dumb FB support layer,
with wsmouse, wskeyboard and wsmux.

> -the installation CD from wasabi (1.5) didn't change /etc/rc.conf
> rc_configured=NO to YES in this port, in the i386 port is marked as YES
> before the first boot.  something forgotten? or voluntered set to NO to
> force user to configure rc.conf before enter runlevel 3?  if yes, why
> the i386 port doesn't work like that?

	The i386 sysinst sets the time zone, date, root password, and
other things that macppc users would normally have to set manually before
procedding to multi-user boot after installation.

	Chris