Subject: How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Low <supermac@hawaii.rr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2001 17:35:44

--MS_Mac_OE_3065362544_90095_MIME_Part

I have been trying to install netBSD 1.5 on a mac cube.  When I asked those
from whom I bought it,  I received the following:

I have not installed personally on an OFW 3 machine, but do know that it is
perfectly viable with the CDs.  Please post to port-macppc@netbsd.org,
describing your partition layout *and* exactly what went wrong while
installing or booting, and also say that you need to be Cc:'d on replies if
you are not subscribed to that mailing list.  It's very important to
describe the steps you used to do the install (and boot the installed
system, if you got that far).

Do keep the following in mind.  (You didn't say whether you successfully
went through the install process, as this is an important note for booting
after the install is complete.)  OFW 3 requires that the OFW booter reside
on the HFS partition -- even though the NetBSD kernel is on a BSD (ffs)
partition.  You need to copy ofwboot.xcf to the top of your MacOS boot
partition so that it can be found at the OFW prompt with "boot
hd:,ofwboot.xcf".

Has anyone ever had success installing on a cube?

dave low
supermac@hawaii.rr.com

--MS_Mac_OE_3065362544_90095_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<TT>I have been trying to install netBSD 1.5 on a mac cube. &nbsp;When I as=
ked those from whom I bought it, &nbsp;I received the following: &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I have not installed personally on an OFW 3 machine, but do know that it is=
<BR>
perfectly viable with the CDs. &nbsp;Please post to <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><=
U>port-macppc@netbsd.org</U></FONT>,<BR>
describing your partition layout *and* exactly what went wrong while<BR>
installing or booting, and also say that you need to be Cc:'d on replies if=
<BR>
you are not subscribed to that mailing list. &nbsp;It's very important to<B=

describe the steps you used to do the install (and boot the installed<BR>
system, if you got that far).<BR>
<BR>
Do keep the following in mind. &nbsp;(You didn't say whether you successful=
ly<BR>
went through the install process, as this is an important note for booting<=

after the install is complete.) &nbsp;OFW 3 requires that the OFW booter re=
side<BR>
on the HFS partition -- even though the NetBSD kernel is on a BSD (ffs)<BR>
partition. &nbsp;You need to copy ofwboot.xcf to the top of your MacOS boot=
<BR>
partition so that it can be found at the OFW prompt with &quot;boot<BR>
hd:,ofwboot.xcf&quot;.<BR>
<BR>
Has anyone ever had success installing on a cube?<BR>
<BR>
dave low<BR>
supermac@hawaii.rr.com</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3065362544_90095_MIME_Part--