Subject: USB hotplug?
To: NetBSD/macppc list <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/14/2001 21:58:38
Hello all,

Sorry, I'm still fairly new to NetBSD/macppc, and so I'm not familiar
yet with what I should expect to work and what I shouldn't.  I've
found a number of things which don't seem to be working, but I don't
know if it's because I don't have things configured properly (kernel,
daemons, devices, etc), or if it's because they just don't work yet.
Rather than lump everthing into one long list in a single email, I'll
send out separate emails so that the subject is more appropriate to
the question asked within, making it easier for folks to decide whether
to read/respond to it or not.  I ask these questions not to point out
faults or limitations, but rather so that I know where best to focus
my debugging and/or coding efforts.  Please bear with me... :)

OK, so all that said, :) USB hot plug doesn't seem to work for me.
I've been testing primarily w/ a Sony USB wheel mouse.  If I have it
plugged in when the system boots, the kernel recognizes it, and it
works fine.  However, if I plug it in after the system has booted, the
kernel takes no notice; I don't see any messages recorded to the
console or dmesg, "usbdevs" doesn't see it, and the X server can't
find it.  Similarly, if the mouse is plugged in when the system boots,
but then I unplug it and plug it back in, the system loses track of
it, eg, it stops working under X, and again, I don't see any messages
about it being unplugged and plugged back in.

Should USB hot plug work?  If so, are there any daemons or commands
which should be run in order for it to work?  Is there anything that's
not in the GENERIC kernel which should be in order for this to work?
Is hot plug dependent on the specific USB device being used?

This is on NetBSD 1.5 release w/ a (essentially) GENERIC kernel
running on a PowerBook G3 Lombard.

TIA,

John