Subject: Re: repartitioning HFS+, mouse questions
To: Francis @Home" , "port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2001 17:44:55
Francis @Home wrote:

>At 7:17 PM +0100 2001/02/13, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:
>>1. We _do_ recognize Apple partition maps nowadays, don't we, so I could
>>convert an unused 5G HFS+ partition to something sysinst can understand
>>_without_ destroying the other HFS+ partitions?
>
>Same question here. I left several GB unpartitioned on
>  my HD last year assuming I'd be able to do this. Are
>  there step-by-step instructions available anywhere?

For the HFS/HFS+ partition to be recognized as an FFS partition under
NetBSD it will need some special flags.  Normally these are created by
the disk formatter when you designate the partition as an AU/X type.
Under the mac68k port we have the MacOS Application "Mkfs" that will
convert an HFS/HFS+ partition to NetBSD type and write these flags.
Unfortunately it doesn't work with IDE disks or disks on the second SCSI
Bus.  You can use the "pdisk" utility from MkLinux but it needs a change
to force it to write the correct NetBSD flags.  I have a version that
does just that in executable form.  You can find it at:

  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/map/pdisk.sea.hqx

Hope this helps,
-bob