Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2001 13:12:33
On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, James Tuman Nelson wrote:

> I patched System Disk with ResEdit, following the directions.  I only
> installed the video patch.  No luck.
>
> Monroe Williams indicates his video "comes up at 60 Hz every time" in
> his e-mail response to Michael Wolfson regarding the System Disk patch,
> listed in the System Disk tutorial.  My video under OF comes up at 67 Hz
> when set to /chaos/control.  Is this correct?

You have an Apple 1710 monitor, don't you? One difference between your
situation and Monroe's probably is the monitor. Apple 15-pin monitors
encoded the monitor type (and thus the resolution(s)) with different pin
hookups on certain sense pins.

The 1710 was a bit strange in that most of the monitor sensing actually
happened over the adb bus. Under MacOS, if you didn't have the keyboard &
mouse plugged into the monitor (and then the monitor into the computer),
you only got 640x480 for the resolution.

So it could be that OF doesn't know what to do with this monitor, and so
just bails. Then no amount of delaying would help.

If you have another type of monitor, you can try it to see if this theory
holds any water. :-)

Take care,

Bill