Subject: Re: newfs is blowing my hfs
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Parker <parker@zeroecho.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2001 11:21:15
"Henry B. Hotz" wrote:

> Therefore what you need to do is partition your disk with the Apple
> tool so it has three partitions:  a small HFS one to hold either
> ofwboot.xcf (or ofwboot.elf), a larger one as A/UX swap, and the rest
> as A/UX root & user.

Yes this is what I did multiple times and it worked fine. See below for where my
ignorance really shines. ;)

> You should be able to get into ofwboot by just putting it in the HFS
> partition and using 0 as the partition number inside OF.  Once you
> get that far my earlier message should apply.

I can boot no problem with ofwboot on the hfs partition, but I'm not getting how
to actually install the kernel and NetBSD sets onto the hard drive _without_
needing to run newfs?! I have found no way to convert the  A/UX swap and A/UX /
to 4.2BSD from the MacOS side and I'm afraid I don't know how to do it from the
NetBSD side without using that newfs step in the sysinst... I've messed around
with disklabel as well, but I'm not familiar enough with it to make sense out of
it yet (soon hopefully!!). So now you see my problem no doubt.

I will go back and try to digest your previous suggestions step by step
(newfs'ing just a partition I believe or something to that effect so that it
doesn't overwrite the hfs partition?).

So really my ignorance is my problem (no newbie flames please, I'm working on it
=\). I thank you all for your interest/patience so far. This is the most support
I've seen in a long time from a list. I'll remember to repay the favor someday.
:)

--
Parker
Zero Echo Inc.