Subject: Re: newfs is blowing my hfs
To: None <parker@zeroecho.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2001 10:06:53
At 5:09 PM -0700 2/6/01, Parker wrote:
>flavors") is not a happy puppy with NetBSD 1.5. No matter what I try I'm
>getting my hfs partition blown away and hence can't reboot into NetBSD unless
>from a CD etc. which as a web server in a production environment is obviously
>not acceptable!  Hehe! I wish I didn't need the hfs partition at all, but I
>guess I do for this machine with OF3.

Well with Bill S's clarification here's a capsule summary of what's happening:

1) With OF 3 you can't use the boot blocks created by the standard
installboot program.  They only work with OF 1 and OF 2.

2) The standard installboot program also destroys the existing Apple
Partition Map for the disk in favor of a dummy one indicating a
NetBSD disklabel.

3) You don't need the standard boot blocks because OF 3 is smart
enough to load a program directly from an HFS partition, and NetBSD
(and 1.5 ofwboot) is smart enough to understand an Apple Partition
Map if it ever gets booted in the first place.

Therefore what you need to do is partition your disk with the Apple
tool so it has three partitions:  a small HFS one to hold either
ofwboot.xcf (or ofwboot.elf), a larger one as A/UX swap, and the rest
as A/UX root & user.

You should be able to get into ofwboot by just putting it in the HFS
partition and using 0 as the partition number inside OF.  Once you
get that far my earlier message should apply.

I think this all equivalent to what the web site everyone points at says.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.