Subject: Re: newfs is blowing my hfs
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/06/2001 09:11:03
At 6:29 PM -0800 2/5/01, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
> > At 7:01 PM -0700 2/5/01, Parker wrote:
> > >is that when I'm going through the install procedures the newfs setup
> > >blows my hfs partition out of the water so the install completes, but I
> >
> > Are you sure it's newfs and not installboot that's the problem?
>
>I'm sure that it is actually installboot which is the problem. :-)
>
>One of the things installboot does is overwrite the Apple partition map
>with a very simple one. Thus your hfs partition goes away. :-(

So presuming we're right what he needs to do is go back and
repartition under MacOS and do:

boot the installation kernel
newfs the installation target partition (probably /dev/rwd0a)
mount the installation target on /mnt
mount the distribution CD on /mnt2
cd /mnt
tar zxvpf /mnt2/<path to distribution tarballs>/base.tgz
repeat for all tarballs
cd /mnt/dev
./MAKEDEV all
cd /mnt/etc
cat >fstab		# modify this for your actual installation target
/dev/wd0a       /       ffs     rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b       none    swap    sw 0 0
^D
shutdown -h now

Make sure you have ofwboot.xcf available in the MacOS partition and
go to Open Firmware and set up booting there.  Boot to your
installation and proceed to set up all the things in /etc that need
setting, like timezone, network addresses, DNS server location, /etc
;-)

Did I miss anything?

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.