Subject: PowerBook trackpad & USB mice?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 23:08:13
All,

I'm running NetBSD 1.5 on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard; that is, bronze
keyboard, w/ USB & SCSI, pre-firewire).  Here are some mouse related
questions:

1) When the system boots, it identifies the trackpad as having 2
   buttons:

   /netbsd: ams0 at adb0 addr 3: EMP trackpad <tpad> 2-button, 400 dpi
   /netbsd: wsmouse0 at ams0

   So what is the 2nd button?  Presumedly the pad itself is the 2nd
   button (that is, tapping on the pad).  Is there anyway to make use
   of this under NetBSD/X (I'm running Xmacppc)?

2) I have a two button, USB wheel mouse.  If I boot with it attached,
   the system recognizes it:

   /netbsd: ums0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
   /netbsd: ums0: Primax Electronics Sony PCGA-UMS1, rev 1.00/4.41, addr 2, iclass 3/1
   /netbsd: ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
   /netbsd: wsmouse1 at ums0

   However, X ignores it.  I'm guessing this is because Xmacppc is
   only looking at wsmouse0?  Is there any way to use the USB mouse
   and the trackpad simultaneously?  "wsmux" looks promising, but I'm
   not sure how this should be configured into the kernel (didn't see
   any samples in the macppc GENERIC config file, though there some
   in the i386 config file); my guess is something like:

     pseudo-device  wsmux   2
     wsmouse0 at ams? mux 0
     wsmouse* at ums? mux 0

   Will this work w/ macppc (yes, I know, try it and see :) ).  Is it
   required that the wsmouse at ams (the ADB trackpad) be configured as
   wsmouse0, or will "wsmouse?" work equally well?

3) Finally, can a USB mouse be plugged in and used after boot, or does
   it have to be plugged in at boot time in order for NetBSD to see
   it?

That's all for now.

John