Subject: Re: X 16bit working now problem with keyboard mapping
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 22:00:28
On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:23:29PM -0600, Rene Salmon wrote:
> 	I finally go X to work with a decent resolution on my mac it looks
> great.  But now I have keyboard problems.  The backspace key labled delete
> on my mac does not erase key strokes but produces some other character
> instead.  Also the pipe key and the esc key do nothing.
[...]
> All my keboard trouble only happens running X once I go back to the
> console everything goes back to normal.
>
> Any ideas???

Don't know about the pipe and esc keys (if you run "xev", switch
keyboard focus to its window (eg, move and/or click the mouse in the
xev window) and then press the | and Esc keys, what keysyms does xev
report?), but the delete key problem is due to the new xterm.  If you
hold the control key down and press the left (sole...) mouse button in
the xterm, a menu appears; in there select "Delete is DEL", and the
delete key will revert to emitting the normal ^? delete character we
all know and love.  You can make this the default for all time by
setting the X resource "XTerm*VT100*deleteIsDEL" to true (this can be
done in $HOME/.Xresouces or system-wide in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm).

John