Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: None <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 14:53:05
-----Original Message-----
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
To: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
Cc: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>; hotz@jpl.nasa.gov
<hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>; port-macppc@netbsd.org <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 12:00 PM

>Well, you *did* hack System Disk's resource fork as described in the
>FAQ, right?

No, not yet.  I just applied the patch from macppc website.

>> I can run macppc fine over ttya, and can telnet to it from by i386.
Works
>> great.  I have been running a numerical model through telnet.  NFS works
>> fine, etc.
>
>Well, you might consider just leaving it that way. There's no
>reason a machine *needs* a console, unless you want a console to
>use.

I am inclining that way.  I just have this great Mac 1710 monitor with a
17in display.  Shame not to use it.

>If you've got another computer to ssh (you really ought to ditch
>telnet, btw) in from which you're used to using as your desktop
>machine, stick with it.
>
>The macppc port is only ready for desktop prime time on much more
>recent versions of OF. Making these OF 1.0.5 machines good for
>console use is really difficult, if not impossible. OF is just too
>buggy and unreliable.

I see that.  I may have to punt.

>> >ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control
>> >ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
>> >wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
>>

>> This is where mine differs.  See below.

>You mean that?

Yup!

>As I said before, that doesn't make sense to me. The wsdisplay
>driver shouldn't just not make any comments about creating a
>console. But, maybe I should go inspect the code before shooting my
>mouth off about it.
>
>> Is there something in sysctl that needs setting?
>
>Not that I can think of.
>
>> Right.  It does differ.  That is what is interesting.  The boot process
>> fails to set up the display at this point, I believe.
>> The above is transcribed by hand.  I can copy the file directly from
zterm
>> log file, and ship it to you.  I will check again.
>
>It seems like there should at *least* be a trailing colon after
>"ofb0"... otherwise, wsdisplay shouldn't even have matched.

I will check again.

>Again, I would need to look at the wsdisplay psuedo-device code to
>really know what I'm talking about, and I never have.
>
>> >(I've booted ornery OF 2.x 6500s this way, and I *think* I've done
>> >it with OF 1.0.5 machines, but I'm not positive.)
>> I agree, it should be possible.
>
>Very curious.
>
>I wish I could be of more help, but it's kind of hard to diagnose
>this stuff remotely, even for someone who knows exactly what
>"should" happen (which I don't, I just know what I've seen).

You have provided great moral support, and you are much more knowledgeable
than I about NetBSD.  Any way, I will have to try hacking as you described
above.

Thanks a bunch.

Jim Nelson