Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: , <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 14:42:12
-----Original Message-----
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: jnelson@wiai.com <jnelson@wiai.com>; gr@eclipsed.net <gr@eclipsed.net>;
James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
Cc: port-macppc@netbsd.org <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 1:00 PM

>I'm suspicious that there is something funny about how a 1710
>responds to resolution changes or resets or something.  I presume you
>tried setting the MacOS resolution to 640 X 480 before rebooting into
>OF?

I have tried that and others under Mac OS and then booting into OF.

> I presume you also tried power cycling the monitor to see if
>that made the display come back?

No, but I will now.

>Did you try fidddling with the
>offset and size adjustments?

I fiddled with the offset, but there is not size adjustment, except under
MacOS.

>There may also be adjustments for
>things like video level or input port that could be off and cause the
>symptoms you see.

I don't think I have such adjustments accessible on the 1710.

>I don't suppose you have an oscilloscope you can use to compare the
>video outputs under working MacOS 640 X 480 with the outputs under
>non-working OF?  That would be the ultimate test of whether the
>outputs are really different or the monitor is just confused.

I do, but not sure if sufficient bandwidth.  When I "setenv output-device
/chaos/control", the monitor lights up with a square white area, under OF
and NetBSD.  There is just no character output.  When I "setenv
output-device kbd", the screen remains dark.

>Not sure if I'm helping anymore.

You are doing as well as can be expected, and I am much obliged.  I think I
may have a hardware problem that may not be solvable without some patch.  I
will take a look at stripping the System Disk patches to see if that helps.
You mentioned 2 patches.  I only saw one.  Do you have the URL's for both?