Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: jnelson@wiai.com, <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 13:05:07
At 11:35 AM -0800 2/1/01, James T. Nelson wrote:
>From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
> >On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 04:55:55PM -0800, James Tuman Nelson wrote:
> >> I substituted my old 601 for the 604, but got the same result for OF:
> >> no screen output using
> >> /chaos/control.  Keyboard entry works fine under kbd.  I but my 604 back
>in.
> >
> >That's funny. My 7500 works fine with /chaos/control. It's kind of
> >hit or miss (have to try the cmd-opt-P-R a few times every time),
> >but it eventually works. I have OF 1.0.5 (as all x500s do?) on which
> >I've run a hacked up version of System Disk to install the monitor
> >patch (mentioned in the macppc FAQ) and the patch to hold booting
> >till after OF has initialized the SCSI chain.
>

>How exactly do cmd-opt-P-R without erasing teh System Disk patches?  How,
>exactly do you set up the machine?
>I tried resetting parameter ram about 4 times, then went into Mac OS 8.6,
>then ran System Disk with the patch described for macppc, set /chaos/control
>and kbd, then rebooted into OF with auto-boot? false.  Still no display,
>though i have blind kbd input.

Well my system works, unlike James, but for reference.

I have two disks so I can cross-boot into MacOS.  I have a patched
version of SystemDisk to use to get back from MacOS, but I still have
to fix a few things by hand once I get back into OF.  I had some
booting problems with doing just the patches described in the FAQ and
so I've removed the majority of the supplied patches from SystemDisk
in favor of the framebuffer and SCSI-delay ones published.  I can't
remember exactly which ones I left in but they were really small ones
near the top that looked especially unlikely to be related to the
boot problems I was having.

Understand I know almost nothing about forth, but if you look at the
structure of the two patches in the FAQ you can figure out where a
patch begins and ends in SystemDisk's supplied resource fork.

> >that section of my dmesg exactly. The framebuffer is here:
> >
> >ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control
> >ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
> >wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
>

>This is where mine differs.  See below.
>
> >Apple Computer PlanB (undefined subclass 0x00, revision 0x01) at pci1 dev
>13 function 0 not configured
> >
> >... and I'm willing to bet yours looks just like mine. The problem is
> >not with NetBSD recognizing your video hardware, but with
> >OpenFirmware sync'ing your monitor by way of your video hardware
> >(not something we have direct control over after we're within the
> >OS).
> >
> >> A little later, the boot log gives:
> >> .
> >> .
> >> "ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control"
> >> "ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
> >> "wsdisplay0 at ofb0"
> >> "Apple Computer PlanB (undefined subclass 0x00, revision 0x01) at pci1
> >> dev 13 function 0 not configured"
> >> .
> >> .

Mine looks like this:

bandit1 at mainbus0
pci1 at bandit1 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control
ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
Apple Computer PlanB (undefined subclass 0x00, revision 0x01) at pci1
dev 13 function 0 not configured

That's from a dmesg on the machine as it's running.  I'm running xdm
to get rid of the stray pixels around the edges of the display, but
mostly I access via NiftyTelnet/ssh.  X is a touch unstable, but OK
if you don't use it ;-)

> >> Then I get the login prompt, followed by this message:
> >>
> >> "Jan 27 08:05:33 macppc getty[188]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured"
> >>
> >> I can log in and do stuff on NetBSD to my heart's content using ttya for
> >> input and output.
> >>
> >> I gather that ttyE0 is not configured because output is directed to
> >> ttya, inherited from OF.
> >
> >Silly question: you *do* have ttyE0 enabled in /etc/ttys, right?
>

>You bet!

I really think this is a different issue.

I'm suspicious that there is something funny about how a 1710
responds to resolution changes or resets or something.  I presume you
tried setting the MacOS resolution to 640 X 480 before rebooting into
OF?  I presume you also tried power cycling the monitor to see if
that made the display come back?  Did you try fidddling with the
offset and size adjustments?  There may also be adjustments for
things like video level or input port that could be off and cause the
symptoms you see.

I don't suppose you have an oscilloscope you can use to compare the
video outputs under working MacOS 640 X 480 with the outputs under
non-working OF?  That would be the ultimate test of whether the
outputs are really different or the monitor is just confused.

Not sure if I'm helping anymore.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.