Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
From: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 11:35:00

-----Original Message-----
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
To: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
Cc: hotz@jpl.nasa.gov <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>; jnelson@wiai.com
<jnelson@wiai.com>; port-macppc@netbsd.org <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 1:00 PM

>On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 04:55:55PM -0800, James Tuman Nelson wrote:
>> I substituted my old 601 for the 604, but got the same result for OF:
>> no screen output using
>> /chaos/control.  Keyboard entry works fine under kbd.  I but my 604 back
in.

>That's funny. My 7500 works fine with /chaos/control. It's kind of
>hit or miss (have to try the cmd-opt-P-R a few times every time),
>but it eventually works. I have OF 1.0.5 (as all x500s do?) on which
>I've run a hacked up version of System Disk to install the monitor
>patch (mentioned in the macppc FAQ) and the patch to hold booting
>till after OF has initialized the SCSI chain.

How exactly do cmd-opt-P-R without erasing teh System Disk patches?  How,
exactly do you set up the machine?
I tried resetting parameter ram about 4 times, then went into Mac OS 8.6,
then ran System Disk with the patch described for macppc, set /chaos/control
and kbd, then rebooted into OF with auto-boot? false.  Still no display,
though i have blind kbd input.

>I mean, I don't regularly use the console (and wouldn't want to...
>OF 1.0.5 is pretty ugly, and NetBSD doesn't have enough glue over
>top of OF to make it look much prettier just yet), but it's the
>machine sending this email, receiving all of the email for the
>eclipsed.net zone, serving the web pages there, and acting as the
>DNS server.
>
>So, I promise, 7500s work. (Granted, mine has a G3 now, but it used
>to have a 604, and that worked too... and, anyway, this is totally
>unrelated to the processor, as long as it's not a 601.)

I can run macppc fine over ttya, and can telnet to it from by i386.  Works
great.  I have been running a numerical model through telnet.  NFS works
fine, etc.

>> The output log that is stored with zterm during the boot of netbsd has a
>> few interesting items:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> "awacs at obio0 offset 0x14000 not configured"
>> "swim3 at obio0 offset 0x15000 not configured"
>> "adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18: 2 targets"
>> "aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device"
>> "akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: extended keyboard"
>> "wskbd0 at akbd0"
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> I gather from this that netbsd finds the mouse and keyboard, but that
>> the screen is not configured.
>
>Huh?
>
>None of that has anything to do with the frame buffer, and matches
>that section of my dmesg exactly. The framebuffer is here:
>
>ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control
>ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
>wsdisplay0 at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0

This is where mine differs.  See below.

>Apple Computer PlanB (undefined subclass 0x00, revision 0x01) at pci1 dev
13 function 0 not configured

>... and I'm willing to bet yours looks just like mine. The problem is
>not with NetBSD recognizing your video hardware, but with
>OpenFirmware sync'ing your monitor by way of your video hardware
>(not something we have direct control over after we're within the
>OS).
>
>> A little later, the boot log gives:
>> .
>> .
>> "ofb0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Apple Computer Control"
>> "ofb0: 640 x 480, 8bpp
>> "wsdisplay0 at ofb0"
>> "Apple Computer PlanB (undefined subclass 0x00, revision 0x01) at pci1
>> dev 13 function 0 not configured"
>> .
>> .
>> Then I get the login prompt, followed by this message:
>>
>> "Jan 27 08:05:33 macppc getty[188]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured"
>>
>> I can log in and do stuff on NetBSD to my heart's content using ttya for
>> input and output.
>>
>> I gather that ttyE0 is not configured because output is directed to
>> ttya, inherited from OF.
>
>Silly question: you *do* have ttyE0 enabled in /etc/ttys, right?

You bet!

I tried with and without wscons enabled in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

>(Probably, and that's probably not it anyway, but it's worth
>checking.)

Is there something in sysctl that needs setting?

>Is what you quote above really directly out of a log or transcribed
>by hand? Because that wsdisplay0 line is incomplete...

Right.  It does differ.  That is what is interesting.  The boot process
fails to set up the display at this point, I believe.
The above is transcribed by hand.  I can copy the file directly from zterm
log file, and ship it to you.  I will check again.

>> The above is obtained with "setenv output-device ttya" and "setenv
>> input-device ttya" in OF.
>>
>> If I "setenv output-device ttya" and "setenv input-device kbd" in OF, I
>> get output info sent to ttya, and I can input info from the keyboard
>> through kbd.  During boot of netbsd, I get boot info output to ttya,
>> displaying information to "zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)" and
>> "zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1".  Thereafter, I get nothing on the zterm
>> terminal through ttya, neither can I input commands through kbd, or
>> ttya.  I have to hardware reboot.
>
>Uh... are you sure?

Yup!

>You *should* be able to log in and issue a shutdown -r even blindly,
>and you shouldn't be losing access through the tty anyway... are you
>sure you've got ZTerm configured properly with regard to baud rate
>and so forth?

I agree.  I am sure zterm is set up properly.  I can operate normally with
both input and output set to ttya, using zterm on a macse.  I make no
changes to zterm for these various configurations.  I had to get a current
copy of zterm to use a high enough baud rate to work (38400, or so).  Now,
if NetBSD changes to a different baud rate for kbd, perhaps there is a
problem....

>(I've booted ornery OF 2.x 6500s this way, and I *think* I've done
>it with OF 1.0.5 machines, but I'm not positive.)

I agree, it should be possible.

Jim Nelson