Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 11:31:00
At 10:50 AM -0800 2/1/01, James T. Nelson wrote:
> >At 4:05 PM -0500 1/31/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >>(I've booted ornery OF 2.x 6500s this way, and I *think* I've done
> >>it with OF 1.0.5 machines, but I'm not positive.)
> >
> >As I said I think this is independent of the display issue, but it
> >*may* be that when you think think the machine looses output via the
> >serial line all that's really happening is the baud rate is being
> >changed.
>

>That could be, but wouldn't that would occur if both input and output were
>set to ttya?  On the otherhand, if NetBSD detects kbd, I could see where it
>might try to change the baud rate for ttya for display to zterm.  What baud
>rate would it try to change to?
>
>I am not sure, but I thought I was also not able to input blindly through
>kbd when output-device was set to /chaos/control and input-device was set to
>kbd.  I have to recheck this, though, as I had difficulty operating blindly,
>trying to remember things while I was setting up NetBSD.

OF will set the baud once and that's it.  NetBSD will probably try to
change it again depending on some things like whether getty is
supposed to run on that line and the contents of files like
/etc/ttys.  I don't remember all the places to look, but that should
get you started.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.