Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 10:50:39
-----Original Message-----
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>; James Tuman Nelson
<jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
Cc: jnelson@wiai.com <jnelson@wiai.com>; port-macppc@netbsd.org
<port-macppc@netbsd.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 1:35 PM

>At 4:05 PM -0500 1/31/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>>On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 04:55:55PM -0800, James Tuman Nelson wrote:
>> > If I "setenv output-device ttya" and "setenv input-device kbd" in OF, I
>> > get output info sent to ttya, and I can input info from the keyboard
>> > through kbd.  During boot of netbsd, I get boot info output to ttya,
>> > displaying information to "zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)" and
>> > "zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1".  Thereafter, I get nothing on the zterm
>> > terminal through ttya, neither can I input commands through kbd, or
>> > ttya.  I have to hardware reboot.
>>
>>Uh... are you sure?

Absolutely, but I will try again.

>>You *should* be able to log in and issue a shutdown -r even blindly,
>>and you shouldn't be losing access through the tty anyway... are you
>>sure you've got ZTerm configured properly with regard to baud rate
>>and so forth?

Absolutely.  If both input-device and input-device are set to ttya in OF, I
can boot to NetBSD and operate normally through zterm.

>>(I've booted ornery OF 2.x 6500s this way, and I *think* I've done
>>it with OF 1.0.5 machines, but I'm not positive.)
>
>As I said I think this is independent of the display issue, but it
>*may* be that when you think think the machine looses output via the
>serial line all that's really happening is the baud rate is being
>changed.

That could be, but wouldn't that would occur if both input and output were
set to ttya?  On the otherhand, if NetBSD detects kbd, I could see where it
might try to change the baud rate for ttya for display to zterm.  What baud
rate would it try to change to?

I am not sure, but I thought I was also not able to input blindly through
kbd when output-device was set to /chaos/control and input-device was set to
kbd.  I have to recheck this, though, as I had difficulty operating blindly,
trying to remember things while I was setting up NetBSD.

Jim Nelson