Subject: BIND update from /usr/pkg
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/31/2001 17:14:54

How do I update the system named and other utilities in /usr/sbin
and the like from my updated package in /usr/pkg?

Similar question for sendmail, postfix, ftp, etc.

Is there a utility that will delete the original files and place
symlinks where appropriate?  I can make the changes by hand, I'm just
worried about missing something.

Ben
allums@earthlink.net

-------------------------

Based on latest security warnings, I decided to update BIND 8 on my
NetBSD 1.5 system.

First, I confirmed that I had a security problem:

  named -v             # reported an earlier, non-secure version

Okay, I've got a problem so I'll update the bind package:

  cd /usr/pkgsrc
  sup -s -v
  cd /usr/pkgsrc/net/bind8
  make fetch-list | sh
  make
  make update

"make update" complained about bind8 not being installed, but I figured
that was okay since it wasn't listed under "pkg_list".

Great.  Now I double-checked the BIND version with:

  pkg_list | grep bind

Came back alright.

Next, I'll double check named:

  named -v          # Same response as before!
  which named       # replied with /usr/sbin/named

Doh!

The package version is installed and running under /usr/pkg/sbin/named.
I assume it also looks for config files in /usr/pkg/etc by default.

Hmmm...

What's the best way to override the build system to do the right thing?
I could override the value of PREFIX (I think that's the right thing to
do), but I'm not certain that would do the right thing for the /etc
directory.

I keep thinking there's something in the package system or elsewhere to
handle this situation automatically.  Any ideas?