Subject: Bootstrapping to XFree86 4.0.x
To: Andrew Howard <ahoward@sagan.usc.edu>
From: David Henderson <David.G.Henderson@technologist.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/29/2001 13:09:09
Andrew,

I started up NetBSD using Open Firmware talking through the serial port
ttya, the default for my StarMax 5000 machine. Booting Open Firmware set up
this way, NetBSD is inheriting the redirection and using the firmware
drivers with the console coming out on the ttya.

I then made a real user, shutdown NetBSD and reconfigured the OF variables
to boot the NetBSD operating system directly. This worked, and the StarMax
keyboard and monitor came alive. The monitor isn't sync'd, just like
described in the NetBSD ppc FAQ section on the StarMax 5000.

I then pondered the unsync'd monitor problem. I could make out the gist of
what NetBSD was telling me, but only because I knew what was coming. I ran
the startx script and saw the unsync'd X display, but I don't have the
knowledge to tell the firmware or kernel to configure X for my video board
chipset.

XFree86 4.0.x provides several configuration tools, and I'm pretty sure
that once I get the video card configured OK with them, my monitor will
sync up. My earlier email was addressing my ignorance on how to get the
console to come up with a sync'd screen before I run the startx command.

What I plan to do (but work and family matters occupy my time), is to get
the XFree86 version 4.0.x and NetBSD patches, and put them on an CDROM
using MacOS and Toast. I can then use the NetBSD system with the serial
port to compile the new version of XFree86 and replace the old X server on
the file system. I am using a CDROM for this because my high bandwidth
connection is at work and sneakernet is the best way to move multimegabytes
of data.

David

P.S. - Would anyone care to post a NetBSD package version of XFree86 v4.0.x
compiled with at least a starter set of patches?