Subject: Re: Help! I just can't figure out how to boot NetBSD on my iMac
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/28/2001 20:15:34
>On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 06:53:43PM +0100, Lasse Hiller=F8e Petersen wrote:
>> On each of the HFS+ partitions, I have put
>> ofwboot.elf
>> ofwboot.xcf
>> netbsd.ram.gz
>> netbsd.ram (ungzipped above item)
>
>Maybe I missed something, but when did our bootloader learn how to
>speak HFS+? (And if our bootloader knows, why doesn't hfsutils?)
>
>If the answer is "never", then you need to put your ofwboot stuff on
>a regular HFS partition...
>
>       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

=46rom Install.html for 1.5:

HFS or HFS+ file system
            (Open Firmware 2.4, Open Firmware 3)

            Whilst you can load ofwboot.xcf from an HFS or HFS+ partition,
you will not be able to load the kernel from HFS or HFS+ filesystems. This
will be resolved in a
            future release of NetBSD/macppc

And later on:

            Boot off an HFS or HFS+ partition
            (Open Firmware 3)

            Download the install kernel installation/netbsd.ram.gz and
place it at the top level of any partition. Use a MacOS utility such as
Stuffit Expander to uncompress the
            kernel. Get to the Open Firmware prompt. Boot the kernel
directly (i.e. without the use of a bootloader) and use it to install
NetBSD on your hard drive.

This I also tried. The webpage I referred mentions using the ofwboot.elf
together with netbsd.ram.gz on HFS, which I presume is what you imply
shouldn't work with HFS+; right?

However, shouldn't booting the netbsd.ram file directly work?

Actually I'm beginning to think that having had (actually still having)
MacOS X installed may have garbled the disk beyond usability. When I
launched the Disk Tools from my Mac OS 9.0 CD, it mentioned several
"unknown partitions".

If only I could repartition without risking to destroy my data.

-Lasse