Subject: Help! I just can't figure out how to boot NetBSD on my iMac DV SE!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/28/2001 18:53:43
I'm *this* close to giving up NetBSD altogether. No, not really :-)

Anyway, despite scrutinizing recent messages here, and numerous attempts, I
still cannot manage to boot NetBSD on my iMac DV special edition (1999
model).

I have updated firmware to 2.4.
I have 4 partitions, three of which are HFS+, and the third an abandoned
MacOS X partition, which I would very much like to be NetBSD.

On each of the HFS+ partitions, I have put
ofwboot.elf
ofwboot.xcf
netbsd.ram.gz
netbsd.ram (ungzipped above item)

I have tried booting with:

boot hd:0,ofwboot.xcf
boot hd:0,ofwboot.elf

and numerous other combinations, and in most relevant cases I get a message
about
LOAD-SIZE TOO SMALL load-size=0, adler32=1 or somesuch.

Makoto Fujiwara suggested "The way to install NetBSD on one drive for New
Macintosh, (with OF > 3.0 ) please take a look
http://www.ki.nu/software/NetBSD/iBook2/"; and someone else thanked him for
this link -- but I must admit I don't get any wiser by reading it; it
almost appears to me as an introduction to something else, which I don't
seem to find there.

Please, could someone help me booting NetBSD on this beast?

-Lasse