Subject: OpenFirmware questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/28/2001 12:21:09
Hi!

There are a few features today missing to NetBSD/macppc that makes it a
bit desktop unfriendly: choosing screen resolution, and power management
on laptops. I'm looking for information about how to start implementing
them.

The FAQ tells that screen resolution can be changed in OF. Anybody know
how? As I understood, if we know how to change it from the OF console,
then we know how to change it from inside the kernel, with the OF client
interface. Is that right?

If this is right, I assume I would able to change the resolution from
kernel code. The goal is having it working from user code. How does this
works on i386? Is there any standard ioctl to control screen resolution?

Now, for power management: I beleive it works in the same way. Anyone
knows an OF command to put a powerbook to sleep? Is there any special
issue we should handle for the sleep/wake-up operations?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Hiroshima 45. Tchernobyl 86. Windows 95.