Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 on 7500 with 604
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/26/2001 23:28:50
Chris Tribo wrote:

> on 1/26/01 4:07 AM, James Tuman Nelson at jimtnelson@earthlink.net wrote
> something like:
>
> > I connected the keyboard directly to the 7500, bypassing the monitor,
> > with no luck.
> > I tried this with and without the System Disk (modified) patches.
> > I am not using an extension cable, just the stock configuration.
> > I also set the monitor to 66Hz and 640x800 under MacOS.
>
>     Uh, 640x800 is not a valid resolution. The 1710 _should_ multisync to
>         60-85Hz Vertical, 30-110kHz Horizontal, and 640x480-1600x1200 IIRC.
>         If it's trying to do 800x600 instead of 832x624 it might not work.

You are right, I made a typo.  I tried a lot of other resolutions, but
no good.

> > I set the input/output to kbd and /chaos/control and auto-boot? off.
> > When rebooting, the system stops at OF, the monitor screen lights up,
> > but no output.
>
>     Could very well be an invalid sync rate, can you use the monitors menu
>         system and see what it's trying to drive the display at? I forget
>         if the 1710 could do that or not...

I tried several sync rates, setting them under MacOS.

> > The keyboard works fine connected to kbd.
> > This is the same thing that happens under NetBSD, but I have not tried
> > booting to NetBSD with the
> > keyboard connected directly to the 7500.
>
> strange!

Right, NetBSD should take over the monitor and drive it nicely.  It is
as though OF is not kicked out after booting to NetBSD, which is absurd.

> Make sure you have an Apple Keyboard and Mouse plugged in somewhere and try
> this:
>
>     Try resetting the "PRAM" (Command-Option-P-R) and let it reset about
>          four-five times.

I have tried resetting the pram, but only once.

>     Then try resetting your monitors controller with Command-Option-A-V

That is a new one to me.  I will try it.  Someone suggested that the
output might be off screen, or outside the window, and resetting a few
things might bring it back in.

>          during extension loading, you should see your monitor re-adjust and
>          remove its calibration profile
>     Try resetting OF (set-defaults then reset-all)

I have done this.

>     Try reinstalling the SystemDisk patches
>
> Chris

Does any one know if  a low nonvolatile ram battery voltage might be a problem?