Subject: Re: error message starting X help
To: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/26/2001 23:21:48
On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 09:50:19AM +0900, Makoto Fujiwara wrote:
> Rene> OsVendorInit
> Rene> X: open kbd/mouse: No such file or directory
> Rene> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> Rene> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
> Rene> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>
> See the old mail I wrote
> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:32:40 +0900
> -----(following is the copy of that mail body)----
>
> I may be wrong, but there is three ways to get arround this
> error messages, I believe.
>
> (1) run xdm at machine startup ( maybe at /etc/rc.local )
> see man xdm for detail.
>    This is the most recommended way.
[...]
> (3) change /dev/ws* device permission
>
> I took this, but this is not the best solution.

If you don't use xdm, then option (3) works well.  Actually, the best
way to do this is to change the ownership of /dev/ws* automatically at
login to the person who's logging in on the console.  This can be done
by adding the following to /etc/ttyaction:

  ttyE0   *     chown ${USER} /dev/wskbd*
  ttyE0   *     chown ${USER} /dev/wsmouse*

When the user logs out, ownership will revert back to root.  See
ttyaction(5) for details.

John