Subject: Re: iMac netBSD
To: Vincent Kraeutler <vincentk@gmx.net>
From: Andrew Howard <ahoward@sagan.usc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/26/2001 10:41:59
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Vincent Kraeutler wrote:

> hi andrew,
>
> it seems like my mail was a bit too quick -- should have read
> the follow-ups first...
>
> as to your drive sharing problems:
> i have been trying to make NetBSD be nice and share my one and
> only drive with MacOS all day yesterday. are your saying there
> really is no way to do this?

This was certaintly my experience during the install process -- sysinst
did not give me the option to install on an existing partition (despite
what the installation notes say), and I ended up having to reformat the
entire drive.  This would be all very well and good, if it wasnt for the
fact that I still need MacOS.  I could try to install 'by hand', but I'm
not really game for this right now.  If you can figure out how to do this
(short of buying a second drive) I would love to know.  A patch to
sysinst, perhaps?

> as to LinuxPPC:
> since you're saying you're going to "try" it, i.e. not do not
> seem to have "tried" it as yet, a few words of warning (i have
> spent the last year getting frustrated with it):
>
> -- SuSe stinks (as usual), it didn't even run with the install
> kernel
> -- LinuxPPC installs fine, but the installed system crashes
> on a regular basis
> -- Debian works fairly ok, as long as you don't let it "make
> your hard drive bootable" (i had to reformat the whole thing
> afterwards)
>
> also, but this was still linux2.2, "hand-compiled" kernels would
> not recognize my keyboard...

Urgh.  Not good.  I will just have to suck-it-and-see.

	Cheers,
		Andrew

Andrew Howard                           email: ahoward@pollux.usc.edu
Department of Computer Science          http:  www-robotics.usc.edu/~ahoward
University of Southern California       phone: 1 (213) 740 6416
Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A. 90089-0781      fax:   1 (213) 740 7512
    << Insert pithy saying here >>>