Subject: Re: setting server mode on a G4 running NetBSD
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2001 15:22:39
At 3:26 PM -0500 1/23/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:33:49AM -0800, Joshua Teague wrote:
> > need some help setting my G4 to run in server mode.  i want it to
> > automatically reboot if it loses power.  any help you can give me would be
> > great.
>
>Not sure if we have a way to set this from within NetBSD, but I only
>ever set it once (under MacOS), and have since wiped MacOS out
>without losing the setting...

What he said.  It sets a control bit in the power control IC (which
also has the battery-backed clock on it which is why you can tell the
machine to turn on at 8AM every morning).  May even bypass OF since I
suspect the chip is derived from some 68k ASIC's with the same
functionality.

>Using the Power Management (or whatever it happens to be called on
>your particular MacOS minor version, blwh) control panel to
>"automically reboot after power loss" *will* work. (Well, it does
>for me on a 7500.)

Energy Saver control panel, Advanced Settings tab, what he said.

>If you've already done away with MacOS, I expect you can set this
>from a copy of the control panel having booted from CD, but I'm not
>positive.

I would think so.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.