Subject: Re: Blanking the screen on a G4 DP
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2001 15:17:22
Mutt made me believe that Dave Huang wrote:
> I didn't want the black on white console text to burn in my monitor, so
> I tried to run screenblank, only to find that it didn't work on macppc
> (ofb driver doesn't support the ioctls to turn the screen off and on).
> So I did a bit of poking around and found some OpenFirmware methods
> that'll turn the monitor off and on, at least on my G4 Dual Proc with
> Radeon card... I have no idea if they're available on other machines, or
> even on the G4 DP with Rage128 card.
>
> However, if anyone's interested, they're named ddc2ci-monitor-off and
> ddc2ci-monitor-on. Here's a patch that adds support for 'em to the ofb
> driver:

Just for the record -- it doesn't work this way on my Powerbook G3.
I'll go diving in the openfirmware depths sometime and see what I can
find -- don't know how to handle the different models afterwards,
though, will have to look at the OF_* methods, too, I guess :)

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
To live for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain