Subject: Status of X on NetBSD ppc
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Salmon <rsalmon@tulane.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/19/2001 11:50:24
Hello all,

	I am a big fan of NetBSD the OS is just one of the best out there.

I am just wondering what is the status of XFree86 for the NetBSD ppc port?
I have not tried or looked at the latest release and just wanted to get
some comments last I checked all I could get was 8bit color.

Darwin and OS X seem to have XFree86 working I have tried to run it on my
mac G4 and it is great it is fast stable and I can get 32bit color the
only problem is I am not a big fan of darwin or OS X I much rather have
this on NetBSD ppc.  Anyway here is a link for Xfree86 for that

http://www.mrcla.com/XonX/

Also you can download the darwin binaries from the XFree86 site

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.0.2/binaries/Darwin/

Since Darwin is supposed to be a flavor of BSD and it runs on most mac
harware and the sources are available can't some one port this over to
NetBSD?

I am no expert and would not even know where to beging to do this but I am
just wondering if it is at all possible.

Rene