Subject: Re: iMac DV installation woes
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Howard <ahoward@sagan.usc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/18/2001 16:07:09
Thanks for the suggestions; I now have the installer running.  FYI, I was
using the NetBSD iso image provided by www.linuxiso.org;  it appears that
the kernel included with this image is incorrect.  I finally got the
installer running using the following procedure:

1. Create an iso image containing:
	- the binaries from ftp.netbsd.org.
	- the bootloader "ofwboot.elf" from macppc/install
	- the *unzipped* install kernel "netbsd.ram" from macppc/install
2. Boot MacOS and copy "ofwboot.elf" to the first HFS+ partition.
3. Re-boot to the OF prompt, boot the install kernel using:
	boot hd:9,ofwboot.elf cd:0/NETBSD.RAM

In retrospect, this sequence is pretty clear (OF3 has to load the
bootloader from an HFS partition, but the bootloader has too load the
kernel from an non-HFS partition).  It takes few passes through the
installation notes to really grasp this, however.

	Cheers,
		Andrew

P.S. Pity the iso images on ftp.netbsd.org are currently unavailable,
otherwise I could have saved a great deal of time :-(