Subject: Re: (PC) serial mice and NetBSD
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/18/2001 12:23:07
Frank wrote:
> >one-button mouse in X sucks, to say the very least. Having no USB, (and
> >having no USB mouse either), is it possible to use a PC serial mouse
>
> I can't answer your question, but I can suggest an alternative:
>   buy a USB PCI card and a USB mouse for about $20 each. The docs
>   say this is fully supported.

Hmm. I'm afraid that my wallet doesn't support this. I've been searching
for these cards, but they seem to have fallen in the "Noone needs this
anymore, so we either don't have it, or we're asking rediculous prices".

The cheapest(!) card I could find in my vicinity costs about $60, and
they weren't able to tell me if it was an OHC compatible card in the
first place.

As far as I can see, the only solution would lie in moused(8), if that's
ever going to be finished. Browsing through the source of Xmacppc
revealed that it's rather "non-configurable" in this respect - it insists
on having a wscons-mouse.

I tried building XFree86-4.0.2, and this generated a huge pile of
binaries - but there wasn't an Xserver among it:)

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333