Subject: Booting off of Adaptec 2940UW
To: Jeff Ridder <jridder@gci.net>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/18/2001 12:11:55
> What am I doing wrong?  I followed the stuff the the FAQ where it talks
> about the Adaptec, but it still won't boot.

Is your adaptec bootable? I've got a 2940 at home which is not.
To know if you can boot on it, cd to it in the device tree of
openfirmware, and use the "words" command on it. If you don't see the
"open" word, it cannot be used to boot.

In order to boot from a controller attached storage, the controller must
provide an openfirmware driver with the open command.

This question is the opportunity for me to ask another question: which
SCSI controllers are bootable on the mac?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Ugly one-liners -- http://gizmo.minet.net:8080/sh