Subject: Re: root fs on non-"a" partition?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/17/2001 23:06:51
On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 11:33:04PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> I don't know the PowerBook boot sequence, but if you get a chance to
> specify options, try booting with -a, which should cause it to prompt
> you for the root device, at which point you can tell it wd0h.

I tried this at the OF prompt, but the kernel didn't ask.  I think the
"-a" was being intercepted by ofwboot and wasn't being passed to the
kernel.  This is what I tried:

  0 > boot cd:3,ofwboot.xcf hd:14/netbsd -as

(I'm currently using ofwboot off the install CD; hd:14 is what gets
mapped to wd0h).  When I do this, ofwboot will prompt me for a kernel
to boot (it gives a "Boot: " prompt), to which I give "hd:14/netbsd".

Saying that, I just realized I should include a "-as" w/ that too (ie,
at the "Boot: " prompt, respond w/ "hd:14/netbsd -as").  I just tried
that, and the kernel now prompts me for the root & dump devices (and
filesystem type).  Unfortunately, when I say "wd0h", "wd0b" & "ffs"
(or for that latter, accept the "generic" default), the kernel panics
with

 wdc0:0:0: lost interrupt
         type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
 wdc0:0:0: setmulti timed out
 wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 (wd0 bn0; cn 0 tn 0 sn0), retrying
 trap type 400 at 481007f0

and I'm dropped into the debugger... :(

On the plus side, if I press Cmd-F2 in the debugger, my screen now
brightens... :)

> For routine use, you probably will want to build yourself a kernel
> configured "root on wd0h".

Looking at the GENERIC config file, it has "root on ?".  Does the "?"
mean use "a" on whatever drive the kernel is on, or use the partition
the kernel is on?  Given the behavior I see, it must mean the former.
Just curious.

John